Assistant Professor (tenure-track) in Environmental Sciences at the Agricultural University of Iceland
The Faculty of Environmental and Forest Sciences at the Agricultural University of Iceland seeks applicants to fill a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor in the field of environmental sciences.
- establish internationally recognized research in his/her field of expertise, secure research funding and participate in domestic and international reserch projects.
- teach established underagraduate and graduate courses, supervise graduate students and, if relevant, develop his/her own undergraduate and graduate courses.
- participate in the faculty‘s administrative work as relevant.
- PhD in plant ecology, ecosystem ecology, soil ecology, environmental sciences or related fields.
- Good knowledge of statistics and/or handling of large data sets is desirable.
- Research experience related to sustainable land use, including use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), is an advantage.
- Track record of publishing his/her research in acknowledged fora and a clear vision of future research
- Experience with teaching and/or knowledge transfer and the will and ability to develop new approaches in this regard.
- Participation in research projects and experience in securing research funds, individually or in collaboration with others.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Management experience and ability to understand and speak Icelandic is a bonus.
The initial appointment will be for five years in accordance with the Act on Public Universities No. 85/2008. According to regulations of the Agricultural University of Iceland the rector is permitted to grant a promotion to the position of Associate or Full Professor immediately following a new recruitment, should the appointee fulfil required qualifications. The evaluation of the application and academic merits will be in accordance with the Act on Public Universities No. 85/2008 and regulations on recruitment and promotion of academic staff at the Agricultural University of Iceland from 20 September 2012.
The work will commence on 1st of January 2021 or as agreed between the appointee and the university.
Salary is in accordance with the current collective wage and salary agreement between the relevant union, and the Minister of Finance. Rights and obligations otherwise follow the Act 70/1996 on the Rights and Obligations of Civil Servants.
The Agricultural University has three main sites of operation: Hvanneyri, Keldnaholt and Reykir. Teaching obligations for the current position will be carried out at Hvanneyri.
For further information contact Isabel C Barrio, Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Environmental and Forest Sciences (telephone +354-8693876 or email: email@example.com).
The deadline for applications is 10 of August 2020.
Applications should be sent to the Agricultural University of Iceland, preferably in electronic format, C/O Guðmunda Smáradóttir (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ásgarði, IS-311 Hvanneyri, Iceland. The application shall include certificates attesting to education and work experience, a list of publications, a summary of previous working experience (scholarly and other) and a letter of introduction, stating research interests and future ideas regarding teaching and knowledge transfer in the field of environmental sciences.